Geert Lovink on Sun, 28 Apr 2019 18:51:15 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Unlike Us links on social media and their alternatives

Dear nettime, as the world slowly moves towards regulation of Facebook and Google, the question of social media alternatives seems nowhere near to be resolved. Or is there some progress? For a while I have been compiling link lists related to the social media question for the Unlike Us email list and I am happy to share some of the ones from March/April with you here. What do you use? How about telegram, signal, duckduckgo, mastedon, jitsi, protonmail, openstreetmap, cryptpad.fr, deepl translator? Are there ways to create a critical mass within your own networks and communities? Best, Geert

Caroline Cadwalladr: TED talk: how I took on the tech titans in their lair

Facebook taps lawyer who helped write Patriot Act as new general counsel

‘Mark Is an Authoritarian’: A Facebook Investor Sounds the Alarm About the Company He Helped Build

'Die Zerschlagung der Tech-Giganten ist keine Lösung' (NZZ via Patrice Riemens)

Netzpolitik: So funktionieren Facebooks Moderationszentren

Are You Afraid of Google? BlackBerry Cofounder Jim Balsillie Says You Should Be

UK gov: “The era of self-regulation is over”

Mark Zuckerberg leveraged Facebook user data to fight rivals and help friends, leaked documents show

Facebook’s likely blockchain first steps – decentralized log-ins and a stablecoin
https://bravenewcoin.com/insights/facebooks-likely-blockchain-first-steps-decentralized-log-ins-and-a

Dialogue between Naomi Klein and Shoshana Zuboff

Facebook and Christchurch

'Your silence is an insult to our grief': Facebook infuriated a New Zealand official with its sluggish response to the Christchurch massacre
Facebook’s likely blockchain first steps – decentralized log-ins and a stablecoin
https://bravenewcoin.com/insights/facebooks-likely-blockchain-first-steps-decentralized-log-ins-and-a

Dialogue between Naomi Klein and Shoshana Zuboff

Facebook and Christchurch

'Your silence is an insult to our grief': Facebook infuriated a New Zealand official with its sluggish response to the Christchurch massacre

Zuckerberg explains his good intentions, one more time

Life without the tech giants, including youtube videos

The fall of Facebook has only begun
(it was reported that 640.000 users in NL left Facebook in 2018)

Analysis of the German court decision against Facebook (in German)

Facebook and Drug Abuse Link Suggests "Social Media Addiction" Is Real