podinski on Thu, 11 Apr 2019 11:53:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> CiTiZEN KiNO #78 - Eyes Wired Shut - April 11 premiere ( Berlin ) + coming to a theater near you ?! ( Tour )

Hi Morlock,
Hi Oliver ... hope you can JOIN US !

> So what happens when re-packaging of Frankfurt school into 'tactical footage' ends up on Youtube... ...
> We need unscaleable medium.

That's a valid question, and one we have been considering since we began the project. And there's much i/we could say about that, but for now, a brief reply:

We have, so far, resisted turning our live + face-to-face events into some youtube channel + virtual identities / personas...

1. b/c one of the main objectives was to hack the cubicle-ization of media, the passive downloading and disembodiment of information
( during our programs, we may intermittently provoke you to engage in the topics )
2. going against the grain of netflix and/or endless net surfing, we wanted to reclaim the cinema environment, as a community gathering
3. bring back an aspect of cinema, when newsreels were shown at every venue
( in parallel to the escapist spectacles ). See the history of Pathe in France.
4. create a place where one has an opportunity to respond in a public space, to the media bits that one absorbs
( i.e. call out the bullshit and propaganda, dissect bad media, and discuss complex issues, rather than having them boiled down by corporate pundits into bite-sized agendas. )
5. to create "a public media navigation platform", where, to some extent we can curate + navigate the screenings together
( i.e. also taking advantage of the access to the vast web resources, and for people to suggest things in realtime )
6. we are drowning in screen-time ! we attempt to hack that, by using and going inside the audio-visual encodings that have become so engrained in our culture
... now 100+ years of cinema, it's a deeply-embedded behavior: to watch ... and deconstructing that behavior.
7. we wish to retain the "aura" of a somewhat anonymous arts+practice collective group, and NOT cave to the individual identities ( stars + celebs )
that  the culture industry is so inclined to manufacture, normalize and lock us in.
8. we want to preserve that "aura" of being able to speak freely and openly, and spontaneous...  as opposed to having to be conscious that we
(and our participating audiences) are on camera...  and could potentially go viral.

On that last note though... we have considered various ways to anonymize ourselves in a playful way ( as opposed to hiding )... still working on that !
B/c we would like to spread the word about what we do... ( helpful for touring and booking ) ... and put up some excerpts of shows online as a taste of what we do,
but communicating quite clearly that seeing the shows IN PERSON, IN THE FLESH is where it's really happening !
Like a theater performance or a concert. And as u say: unscalable !
An intimate and local experience !

And, to add: Is it always a wholly bad thing, for a powerful message to go viral !?
Isnt it a part of the battelfield for hearts + minds we have to contend with in the era of mass digital colonization and all the corporate spectacles.

Like this clip...
an exceprt from CK78 playlist...
one should definitely feel free to spread it!
"the 82 year old rebel"
https://www.rubberrepublic.com/new-work-82-yo-rebel/?
fbclid=IwAR3Up0Z_xJWObos0tMTcOUxMgmONd4q3PA8rrzoqmiVtwOts7d_xPCCVmds

all the best!
podinski