David Garcia on Sun, 7 Apr 2019 13:01:56 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Not Brexit

Agreed Ariston.. nothing is certain and no-deal is still the deafault option. But parliament faced with no deal still has the legal
option to “revoke” article 50. It is no one’s favoured option but when staring down the barrel of a gun it would probably be the choice.
of a parliament that has rejected no-deal. That would then innevitably be followed by a General Election of a new refferendum or both.

The more likely outcome is that May is (reluctently) granted an extension (or flextension) but one that is a year or more in which
case will be forced to take part in the European Elections. She has asked for a limited extension till June so if forced into something longer
she can claim in a typically English ‘passive aggressive’ way “they made me do it” (sickening cowardice? yes I know).

BUT HERE'S THING- Remainers Must hope and fight to hold those European Elections otherwise we will be legally out.
So it must be the first second and third priority if we are to have a chance of remaining.

If we (remainers) are granted this opportunity then its ‘game on’. Nigel Farage (with his usual tactical nous) is already up and
running with his new party but Remainers are still splintered and one step behind as usual. This must change. Like Boy Scouts
we must be preparing now. Just in case we get that break.

Holding the European elections in the UK  offers all sides of the argument a powerful set of risks and opportunities. For Remain
it offers a platform to connect the envigrated remain insurgency to the ballot box. More than 6 million signed the petition and hundreds
of thousands marched on the street. Now is the opportunity to translate this movement into an electoral process that will be taken
seriously in the UK and by the rest of Europe.

One of the ironies of Brexit (pointed out in a TV interview with Richard Barbrook) is that Brexit has turned the UK from a Eurosceptic nation into
one of the most engaged and increasingly pro-EU countries in the EU! No other European country would be able to put hundreds of thousands
on the streets waving the Union Blue flag. Its time to use the ballot box to translate this into a new impulse of democratic involvement in ways
that could ultimately send positive democratic ripples through the EU’s flawed institutional hierarchies.

David Garcia