Joseph Rabie on Sun, 31 Mar 2019 13:57:58 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Managing complexity?

I have not been following this thread, so please excuse me if I repeat something already said.

Brian, I do not agree with your definition of complexity (as below) as a form of disorder coming from malfunctioning entities.

Complexity, in my view, is a natural phenomena caused by the multiple interactions that occur between different systems that collide with each other, by the fact that they operate autonomously (and not necessarily competitively) within the same body: whether it be our own, society, the world...

As an urbanist, this is certainly the case of cities. As a "simple", physical example, look at all the utility networks (water, gas, electricity, telephone, optic fibre, sewage, drainage...) operating under our pavements. They do not compete, but when one sees the same pavement being dug up over and over again, one sees the difficulty of organising their coexistence.

Joe.