David Garcia on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 08:35:04 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Christchurch and the Dark Social Web by Luke Munn

Thanks Francis and Brian et al
When Francis points out that
[….]This kind of description ascribes a lot of power/agency to the technical
medium and does in my opinion not fully grasp the agency of individuals
who have to actively seek this content (they have to go online,
subscribe to certain streams, pick their phones and read messages, click
on more extreme content and so on).

Francis appears to be arguing that we can differentiate the workings of human agency from the devices, ‘smart’ infrastructurse and platforms that
are *also* the result of human agency. There is still an important  role for forums (like this one) which struggle to examin the changing 'digital condition’ not
only from the perspective of explicit content but also in terms of how various (often profit driven) configurations might actually amplify our worst or
our better impulses. Remembering that the gun lobby like to tell us that its people that do the killing not guns is a useful reminder that
technology is not neutral. This is not to underplay the role of human agency but it is to insist that the presence of this agency doesn’t begin and
end with the users but is at work from the earliest point at which these platforms, devices and interfaces are configured.

Brian wrote
But now all social relations in all the developed societies are in some way mediated by networks. That means two things simultaneously: computer networks seep into all culture, and all elements of culture - including the worst and most rancid white supremacy - seep directly into computer networks.

The near total cybernetic entanglement that Brian points to is no reason to turn our attention away from political and sociological analysis of the formation of digital infrastructures. On the contrary it is their fading into the the background to become ‘the environment” that makes them so powerful frequently insidious and so vital to contest.

David Garcia