Nick on Tue, 19 Mar 2019 13:43:21 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Christchurch and the Dark Social Web by Luke Munn

Quoth Geert Lovink:
> we have just published this essay on our blog: Algorithmic Hate: Brenton Tarrant and the Dark Social Web, an analysis on the role of social media in the Christchurch killings, by Luke Munn, writing from Auckland/NZ:
>
> <http://networkcultures.org/blog/2019/03/19/luke-munn-algorithmic-hate-brenton-tarrant-and-the-dark-social-web/>.

Thanks for sharing Geert, I found the article very interesting
indeed.

One interesting tension is between the more algorithmically complex
and opaque sites more in the mainstream (twitter, facebook, youtube)
compared to things like 8chan, which as far as I'm aware basically
just promote what's most popularly re-shared and posted. So while
sites like facebook can (as well described in the article)
"effortlessly" change the sort of content one sees in mysterious
ways that can gradually alter the social and political norms that
are present, sites like 8chan don't facilitate the same sort of
movement, beyond the sort of entrenchment that comes with
desensitisation and repetition.