Andreas Broeckmann on Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:10:18 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> It is the table

Folks, what a situation!... I like how Stephen Bush writes:

"[May's] motion, unless amended, has no more force and will have no more impact than if MPs voted against the forces of gravity. You cannot vote against falling off the cliff when you have already jumped off the cliff, which is what MPs did when they voted to trigger Article 50 back in 2017. You can only vote to open your parachute – that is to say, for either an exit deal or to revoke Article 50."

(at least the British scores in rhetorics and sense of humour remain high!)

His recommendation: "The only real way to “take no deal off the table” is with legislation saying that in the event no accord has been ratified by 29 March, Article 50 will be revoked."

(... which means that MPs would have to vote that they'd rather have the UK remain, than leave the EU in a no-deal Brexit; however much I personally like that idea, it seems less likely to me that MPs would dare vote to revoke Article 50, and more likely that the laws of gravity might persist...)

-a