Keith Hart on Fri, 8 Mar 2019 20:58:16 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> From here to Brexeternity

Since you are either gobsmacked or bored with straight Brexit, how about Monty Python Brexit? Marina Hyde is a fantastic satirist.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/08/conservatives-brexit

It maybe an  example of what my French friends call "your wonderful British sense of humour", but I hope it travels, since it  certainly alleviates the gloom where I am sitting.

Click on the link if only to get a peek at the utterly gormless Secretary for Northern Ireland who once said that she had never heard of the Good Friday  agreement and this week claimed in the Commons that deaths caused by British soldiers in Uster couldn't be crimes  because they were British soldiers. She later said “I want to be clear – I do not believe what I said, that is not my view.”

Last week defence secretary Gavin Williamson said he would send a warship to the Pacific that won’t be ready until 2021 and caused current trade negotiations with the Chinese to be cancelled. Now he has announced that the UK armed forces “stand ready” to respond to the new teenage urban knife crisis. May denied that said crisis had anything to do with her savage cuts in police, schools, social care and the rest.

Attorney General Geoffrey Cox went to Brussels this week and suggested that the backstop clause of the treaty his government negotiated very recently could breach the European convention on human rights for the people of Northern Ireland. A senior EU source remarked: “He said a lot of surprising things this week.”

That's it from me.

Keith