André Rebentisch on Wed, 30 Jan 2019 02:40:07 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> No evidence of digital wrong-doing...

Whenever you have a deliberative assembly the outcome it predefined by
the process. A sausage machine may grant you a right to select meat but
the outcome is always sausage, regardless of your selection. Or you get
something like a social democratic committee paper, where each sentence
has to be vague and is agreed upon by all, or has been previously agreed
upon, thus the outcome is mostly baseless or manipulative, e.g. by
shifting a principle on one level (all persons should be equal/free) to
another level (all net traffic should be equal/all men should be free to
shoot their machine guns) etc.

Deliberative committees are paper interventions against rocks that are
ultimately serving the ones governing the process. Indeed, your process,
dear representative tokens, produced a nice agenda plan, but we are the
officials and we pick what we want. A deliberative assembly has never
the power to command the execution of their consented plan but still
expects all participants to take ownership of the mediocre result.

What works however well is disjunct scenario planning, e.g. with four
scenarios. Then we usually get four "radical" plans. None of them would
be executed in a pure form either but we avoid the consent without power
and keep the tension, we develop the disjunct ideas to a more
sophisticated level.

Just as an example:
- Hard Brexit on WTO rules. Ordered custom Brexit. Brexit reversal.
Norway/EFTA.
- Hardborder, Soft border, Irish Union, NI stays in the EU.
Wouldn't it be great to have detailed plans for all scenarios?

--
André Rebentisch                Dipl. Kfm. & M.A.
Reuterstr. 32                   12047 Berlin                 Germany