Nina Temporär on Mon, 12 Nov 2018 06:31:34 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Yes please - was: Nein, danke [was Re: Inhabit: Instructions for Autonomy]

Oh nice, a smelling [con]test. Want to participate.

It’s very sweet how much effort you put into analysing this „piece of work“,
Probably wanting to be on the right side on this one. It’s very honorable you want to find
The fly after not seeing the elephant. (Sorry, couldn’t help myself going for this one. ;))

But why didn’t anyone simply do some actual research before making the effort of scouring their mental
Image libraries equipped with knowledge that potentially isn’t compatible with the younger generations’
((mainstream-meets-counter-culture-meshup)) aesthetics anymore?

To be fair, as someone raised in Germany, it’s also my first reaction to go yikes when I see 1930s fonts
Combined with such warfare imagery and fuzzy pseudo-theory.

On the other hand it’s common knowledge that the re-appropriation of fascist aesthetics is already last
Decade’s news. „Fascist“ haircuts have been en vogue again for ages, just as well as similar fonts which
Have been used, for example, by mainstream art institutions like Volksbuehne Berlin and Kunsthalle Vienna,
Which are not exactly under suspicion for being right wing.

And even though such paramilitary kind of anarchism usually doesn’t appeal to me, I have seen how the
American antifa dresses up when currently going to protests - shields and all. I mean, no surprise,
Trump’s reaction to Charlottesville was an open call to regard them as fair game.
And this also relates to those who didn’t choose to "be political" in the first place, but who involuntarily
Got thrown into being state enemy number one just by birth, gender, religion, etc. Imagine all you want to
Do is going skating, like any other teenager or twen. And you don’t live in Saudi-Arabia, but a country that
P r o m I s e d  you could. Wouldn’t you set up your protest with the deepest contempt you can possibly
Express, which would be applying all of your skills to do it the most powerful way know: With the dignity of
Aesthetic radicality, in other words, w I t h  s t y l e ?

This style - that is this generation’s Tyler Durden. (So yes: Fight Club.) It’s this generation’s Willow-going-
full-on--black-eyes. It’s Sarah Connor’s determination meeting the reality of Rojava - and yet not minding
instagramming it.

So the results of my research are:
While one cannot exactly know what the makers of the „pamphlet“ really think, the people who post
In an appreciative way about the website / booklet on social media

- advocate events with Kimberly Crenshaw, Dorothy Roberts and Anita Hill
- bragg about IWW belts as birthday presents
- shout #makeracistsafraidagain
- promote phone numbers of legal teams before the „fight gainst white supremacy“
- share booklets on Black resistance and on Dis/Ability Topics written by Muslim Women of Trans Experience
- celebrate Murray Bookchin (hilarious pic)
- chant „MAGA - Make AmeriKKKa go away“,
- call themselves „experimental anti-fascist hip hopers“ and their music „revolutionary new anarchistic hiphop“,
- agree with Karl Popper’s Paradox of Tolerance (yes that one that says no to Nazis)
- and they announce workshops for civil disobedience in relation to #abolishICE.

I didn’t copy the links because I didn’t want to expose the accounts of individuals - the nettime archive is public.
So in case they are serious and not just hipsters wanting to look dangerous and accidentally end up depoliticizing a
Certain public atmosphere by aesthetization, as it was suspected here, it might not be helpful to them to keep
Discussing it here.

Best N