Sascha D. Freudenheim on Tue, 6 Nov 2018 17:21:58 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> apropos of nothing

As one of the (very?) few conservatives on this list—by which I mean conservative relative to the list as a whole—and someone who has been on the list for something like 20 years, I have a few observations:

— Overall, I am impressed with the degree to which the move away from active moderating did not negatively affect the overall quality. I say that not to take away from the work of the moderators, but just as an observation on the community as a whole.

— At the same time, two components have been an active and essential part of my experience with nettime: a filter on my email that files all messages automatically, and the delete button.

— The filter because it makes it easier to manage the flow, especially when someone exhibits troll-like behavior or is simply too passionate to let go.

— The delete button because it is crucial to any digital experience. I do not consider myself obligated to read every post, to feel inflamed by every trollish post. I consider it, rather, my right to delete them and move on.

So while I think putting Bard on moderated status is the right call, I find the idea that this list is a home to potential fascists to be ludicrous and, in and of itself, a fairly fascistic take on freedom of thought. How about just using your delete button once you realize someone is a troll who should be ignored?

Lastly: Bard’s remarks about Charlottesville were awful. However, we kid ourselves if we think that he is alone in thinking he can stand outside that fight. Putting him on mod status does not change the fact that many people—too many people—find something appealing in Trump’s statement that there were “good people” on both sides. Muting him only mutes our collective awareness of their existence, it does not change the fact that they are there.

Sascha

Sascha D. Freudenheim
sascha@sascha.com