Keith Hart on Tue, 6 Nov 2018 12:36:16 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> apropos "relax dear"

Julia and Angela,

Nettime was originally a club for the class of white male geeks who thought they were making a new internet in the 90s. This class, in vehicles such as unlike us, now fights a rearguard action against the FAANG monopolists.

Ted and Felix at one time proposed winding up the list, but settled for not moderating posts instead. There have been very few trolls here and this may have led them to feel that nettime could be self-governed, despite being too narrowly conventional for their taste. It is easier for outsiders to see and propose action against trolls (fascists) than insiders.

Ever since he appeared here, I have considered Bard to be a troll. I soon chose to ignore him and felt even more justified by recent exchanges. I prefer to make a positive case than waste my time on negative copy. Who needs more gratuitous verbal violence than we get already? Member may point to infringements of the rules, but the administrators choose when and how to moderate.

I stick with nettime because a few of the arguments are interesting, I can spot them quickly and I may have something to say. There are citation cliques here as everywhere; and my last post was swamped by Brian's and only acknowledged later by Dan Wang. The attention economy of nettime can be wearisome, but I can live with that for the sake of the benefits.

Nettime is a self-selecting coterie of windbags whose posts have no real world political significance. But some of us like it. It is not surprising that we don't have a politics of dealing with trolls, even less fascists.

Keith