bbbbbb on Tue, 6 Nov 2018 11:59:00 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Grand narratives vs Identitarianism

This bogus standoff between Marxist and ‘Rousseauian' factions is not only shallow, but seems (despite calls for a grand unifying narrative for ’the left’) to be used to draw lines in the sand, fostering divisiveness, rather than a vision that will mobilise and empower. Perhaps some shadow of the point that Alexander is grasping for (badly and boringly in endless repetition of himself) was pre-empted and better articulated some years ago by Judith Butler, who argued in Frames of War:

"Left politics ... would aim first to refocus and expand the political critique of state violence, including both war and those forms of legalised violence by which populations are differentially deprived of the basic resources needed to minimise precariousness. This seems urgently necessary in the context of crumbling welfare states and those in which social safety nets have been torn asunder or denied the chance to emerge.  Second, the focus would be less on identity politics, or the kinds of interests and beliefs formulated on the basis of identity claims, and more on precarity and its differential distributions, in the hope that new coalitions might be formed, capable of overcoming liberal impasses. Precarity cuts across identity categories as well as multicultural maps, thus forming the basis for an alliance focused on opposition to state violence and its capacity to produce, exploit and distribute precarity for the purposes of profit and territorial defence.  Such an alliance would not require agreement on all questions of desire or belief or self-identification. It would be a movement sheltering certain kinds of ongoing antagonisms among its participants, valuing such persistent and animating difference as the sign and substance of a radical democratic politics.”

Coalitions and alliances are already forming across the left. This is what brought 640,000 people on to the streets in the UK, to animate and make visible their dissent to a British state that is as unlikely to acknowledge its colonial legacy as it is to acknowledge the effects of economic privatisation, austerity or the shambles otherwise known as Brexit. Alexander would have us believe that there are no viable visions of collectivity other than his own. Self-evidently, it’s not true.

Bests,