Florian Cramer on Tue, 30 Oct 2018 15:30:21 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Interview with Richard Stallman in New Left Review (September-October 2018)

Hello Carsten,

You wrote:

> Most Free/Open Source Software is in fact not created by unpaid
> volunteers or even by underpaid workers, but by professional developers
> at the companies or organizations who sponsor the projects.

Define "most". What you describe is true for the Linux kernel and other pieces of software that make up a typical Linux distribution such as RedHat, but even those are not 100% developed by paid developers. On top of that, crucial components such as OpenSSH (developed by OpenBSD) and popular applications such The Gimp are developed by volunteers. Free Software as a whole is an ecology that is made up by volunteer and paid developer contributions.

And I would argue that all these developers are underpaid in the light of the IBM/RedHat transaction which they will not profit from. (Quite on the opposite, with IBM's management taking over and making it part of its 'cloud' division, the question is how many free software developers on the RedHat payroll will stay in their jobs.)

It's one thing to sell your labor as alienated labor to a company, knowing full well that you get exploited. It's another thing to contribute to free software as a volunteer and (at least partially) idealist cause and see others make $30 billions with it.

I don't buy the argument that RedHat has a $30 billion company value just because of its services.

-F