David Garcia on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 16:24:44 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Bad news for Brexit Junkies! - worse news for Labour and remainers

Dear Ian,
thanks for posting this.

I do think there are some carefully choreographed theatrics involved in this depressing circus.
And there is a going to be quite a lot of calculation (possibly agreed by both the EU and the UK civil
servants) that a dramatic last minute battle that goes down to the wire and from which both sides
emerges and are seen to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat will play well with domestic constituencies
and may (they calculate) help May get the parliamentary support she so deperately needs. It is this fact
that makes it hard to disentangle the real battles and real news from the misinformation and 'phony wars’.

But having said all that I am skeptical of the picture painted by JP of the brexit enterprise as some kind of strategic
master plan. This attributes a level of strategic skill and competence that is glaringly absent from the moronic
fantasists that populate this government (and much of the wider parliament). I am not averse to conspiracy
theories but in this case I just don’t buy it.

But more seriously it lacks credibility because this ‘civil war’ has been years in the making. The fault lines in both
the conservative party and Labor go back nearly half a century. They are generational and have
deep historical and cultural roots (you can see it in the studied nostalgia of Johnson’s faux Churchillian strutting) and
probably do not need to be re-heated on this list. So I think the enmity between the almost  religious fervor of the
nativist Brexit true believers and the more straightforwardly neo-liberal Tories goes a long way back with many of the
same character actors.

So the divisions are not a theatrical smokescreen to distract us from the unfolding master plan of the brexit brain lords.
They are  however destructively idiotic) quite real. Sometimes a cigar is.. you know.

This does not mean that special measures and emergency powers are not being planned as in the event
of crashing out without a deal. A crash out with no transition period would bring chaos and disruption that would
have to be managed and though this may be the desired outcome of some of the ’true believers’ I do not think
that this is the aim of May and Olly Robins (the civil servant who probably cooked up Checkers). Robins and May
knows (whatever she says) that no deal would be catastrophic.

But to be honest Ian I am just like most of my benighted British brethren guessing and dancing on the edge of the
precipice our fate in the hands of (for the most part) self serving narcissists on the road to no-where. Somehow this
tailspin feels even worse than JP’s grand conspiracy.

Best

David