Keith Hart on Sat, 13 Oct 2018 20:56:53 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> elections in Brazil / media

Hi Brian,

Like you, I picked up the link between fascism and neoliberalism; but this is to take refuge in convenient general categories. You have implied at various times here that the US may be on the brink of civil war, but this is only likely if we rely on comparative abstractions rather than concrete historical developments n one place. My friend describes a civil war that is already happening and its reality, for me, lies in his description of what is happening on the streets of Rio. Similar phenomena have gripped Brazil's cities for a decade or more;  I recall police strikes in Salvador not long ago, for example. If you look at Germany's civil war after 1918 in the aftermath of  the Russian revolution and in Weimar Berlin, a free-for-all broke out in the streets between ideologically driven factions. Nothing in the US today remotely compares with this, certainly not Chicago police killing black young men as usual. As my friend says, Brazil's is a counter-revolution against what the PT achieved; and this means extra-judicial killings, imprisonment and torture on a renewed scale.

There is something going on in our world at a general  level and you are good at pointing out some of these features. But social war is historical and particular and comparison should be grounded in local history. Europe (especially countries like  Hungary, Poland and Bulgaria, all with exaggerated historical myths of their own) is a strong candidate for its own version of civil breakdown, South Africa too, just to mention two places I know at first hand. But the American empire is strong and likely to become stronger; I don't see anything similar in your backyard.

Keith