marc.garrett on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 17:21:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Unlocking Proprietorial Systems for Artistic Practice (whole Version)

Hi Rachel,

A warm thanks for reading the article, and considering what it's exploring.

>You started with a question along the lines of:

>How can we think of art as a system that struggles against neoliberalism
>when it’s so infected by the logic of that system? Or ‘are creative and
>critical practices doomed to perpetuate a neoliberal logic?’

As already mentioned, this study is part of a larger research project, that draws upon over 20 years of working on the ground with Furtherfield. It reflects the very difficult struggle of remianing true to a group's political and artistic beliefs, remaining true to its community, whilst surviving in a neoliberal context. It has paralleled Furtherfield’s existence, affecting the social conditions, ideas and intentions that shape the context of our work: collaborators, community and audience. Effecting us as individuals and around us: economically, culturally, politically, locally, nationally and globally. Its panoptic encroachment on everyday life has informed organisation's own motives and strategies. In contrast with most galleries and institutions in the UK that engage with art, we have stayed alert to its influence as part of a continuing, shared dialogue.

>I’ve been wondering this a lot recently as I have been doing interviews and research
>on artists who are using various kinds of financial instruments, including
>the blockchain, in their work. Sometimes the work is ostensibly a critique
>of the market but more often it seems like an over-identification with the
>financial system.

Publishing the book 'Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain' is a modern day, Post-Situationist, punky, cultural hack; on a culture that seemed to be only valuing life as commodity alone. It was a positive and contextual hack, not a doom and gloom approach, which meant that others who were not necessarily aware of blockchain technology and the societal effects of it could find a way in, to think about it differently. It is very much about creating and taking a space in the world, which was not there before. Taking ownership of somethiong which was not meant for you in the first place, that was only meant for a particular top-down orientated class of people.

>This isn’t to say that there’s a pure moment in history where art and
>finance are opposed, but just that artists are increasingly
>adopting the language of financial systems in relation to their own work –
>the artist is an entrepreneurial figure hedging the value of their own
>work and creatively engaging in the market.  A critical reflection of this
>is something like Jennifer Lyn Morone ™ a work that Marc mentions later in
>this essay.

>We’re all encouraged to adopt the neoliberal idea of the entrepreneurial self,
>whether that’s as creative practitioners or academics or housewives or workers,
>to invest in ourselves, to be productive, to do all of this and do it for very
>little remuneration and also love doing it.

>Just as Federici employed the idea of ‘wages for housework’  in the 1970s in order
>to highlight womens work and lay bear the myth of the ‘labour of love’, we need to
>think about the kinds of subjectivities that reproduce this current neoliberal model
>and the role of creative and cultural practices within that. And I think this is
>what your article is doing.

Yes, I think a key element of what you say relates closely to forms of domination and ownership. Charles Rumney, says in 'Class matters', "The machine, under capitalism, becomes the worker's enemy." The gig economy has reflected this, no response to these conditions/questions can be pure, but as part of the problem --- knowingly, and fighting it actively.

It has been an interesting time at Furtherfield in respect of the current exhibition "Examining the way that the boundaries between ‘play’ and ‘labour’ have become increasingly blurred, [...] the 'Playbour: Work, Pleasure, Survival', show transforms Furtherfield Gallery in the park, into an immersive environment comprising a series of games. Offering glimpses into the gamification of all forms of life, visitors are asked to test the operations of the real-world, and, in the process, experience how forms of play and labour feed mechanisms of work, pleasure, and survival." http://bit.ly/2ukU7m5

For the exhibition, I wrote an editorial 'Border Disruptions: Playbour & Transnationalisms' (http://bit.ly/2m9OlA1) , which included an interview with artist and activist, Cassie Thornton 'Art, Debt, Health, and Care' I'd say Cassie Thornton's 'rogue anthropological techniques', express a dynamic that's actively working on the frontline. http://bit.ly/2KMPZXl

I found Felix Stalder's post with quotes, "Challenging the Tech Companies from Within" via LibrarianShipwreck, interesting, because it highlights those working in the tech industry who are trying to make a diffence, beyond their careers alone, "we are in the present situation because these companies have repeatedly demonstrated that they aren't particularly concerned with ethics or the negative implications of their actions." These questions are as equally necessary across the board.

>I particularly like the distinction between proprietary and proprietorial,
>although I’m not sure if my reading or interest in the two terms is the
>same as yours. I liked how you introduce the notion of proprietary as ownership
>rights while proprietorial behaviour is a kind of laying claim to the right to
>ownership. In other words, if proprietary is about the relations of ownership,
>proprietorial concerns are the discursive, material and embodied practices
>through which that ownership become possible. Behaving as though ownership is
>possible is the first step then and proprietary relations are the second.
>Another way of thinking about this is in relation to enclosure or primitive
>accumulation (but gah, I don’t want to draw a band of earnest Marxists down on
>my head) and valorisation or extraction.

>"In other words, if proprietary is about the relations of ownership,
>proprietorial concerns are the discursive, material and embodied practices
>through which that ownership become possible." Yes...

Which is why Bookchin's ideas on this are important, because he as a male has highlighted that, even before social class emerged that “the priesthood established quasi-political temple despotisms over society, the patriarch embodied in a social form the very system of authority that the State later embodied in political form.”

>So we need to ask, what are the range of material, discursive, embodied,
>subjective and affective practices that make ownership possible and what
>kinds of practices might undo this or offer alternative relations, not
>only to things and the owning of things, but to ourselves and our creative
>production?

So, ownership not only regarding the material aspect of things, but also the immaterial.

>As your discussion of enclosure shows, we can see that proprietary relations
>involve much more than putting up a fence or drawing a boundary; the first
>step is speaking and representing a thing as though it is a resource that can
>be owned rather than a set of interlocking relations and obligations
>(https://www.routledge.com/The-Political-Uncommons-The-Cross-Cultural-Logic-
>of-the-Global-Commons/Milun/p/book/9780754671398 is great on this

Exactly, "a cultural history of the global commons: those domains, including the atmosphere, the oceans, the radio frequency spectrum, the earth's biodiversity, and its outer space, designated by international law as belonging to no single individual or nation state but rather to all humankind" Kathryn Milun.

Of course, not a new idea, and it  takes us right back to Gerrard Winstanley’s ‘A Declaration from the Poor Oppressed People of England’ originally published in 1649. Winstanley was one of the founders of the English group known as the True Levellers or Diggers. The group occupied public lands that had been privatised by enclosures.

"For though you and your Ancestors got your Propriety by murther and theft, and you keep it by the same power from us, that have an equal right to the Land with you, by the righteous Law of Creation, yet we shall have no occasion of quarrelling (as you do) about that disturbing devil, called Particular propriety: For the Earth, with all her Fruits of Corn, Cattle, and such like, was made to be a common Store-house of Livelihood to all Mankinde, friend, and foe, without exception." Gerrard Winstanley.

>- also Tania Li. Similarly, with the enclosure of information, knowledge and culture,
>it’s not just about IP and copyright, but also about the practices and ways
>of thinking and engaging with knowledge and culture that makes it ownable.
>You give a few examples of this when you discuss the enclosure of tacit and
>shared knowledge by pharmaceutical companies and the enclosure of social
>relations and user generated content over social media platforms.

Thanks, will look at Tania Li's text.

>This gets to the root of the question you’re asking at the beginning – is
>there any way to struggle out of or against this enclosure?

Yes, I remember being at a march in London a few years ago, when the police were Kettling demonstrators for over six hours on Westminster bridge. People were locked within a human made prison without commiting a crime. "Between 3,000 and 4,000 demonstrators had been herded and contained with barely room to breathe in freezing conditions, with the added risk of being pushed over the parapet into the river." https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/mar/10/dangerous-police-protest-alfie-meadows ---- It's moments like these you realise you are owned. And it got me thinking how there are different types of enclosures, and how they effect us in society.

>There might be, but it requires more than an engagement with the proprietary
>– the property relations and physical symptoms of enclosure. It requires more
>subjective and affective engagement with the proprietorial. And this is also
>where art has a lot to offer.

>Works such as the brilliant Housewives making Drugs might provide another
>kind of subjective practice that unpicks neoliberal enclosure of common knowledge.
>I’m not sure where something like data detox fits in this. I guess practices of
>obfuscation and disruption are also a challenge to enclosure?

For me, this is about identity and who owns our gender choices. The trans-femme stars, Maria and Maria, in a spoof video, teach a home audience how to cook their own hormones, step by step. "Choosing the kitchen as the appropriate battleground for tackling body/gender politics and institutional access, the cooking show aims to challenge/subvert patriarchal society and speculate on a world with greater body sovereignty for all." https://www.media.mit.edu/projects/housewives-making-drugs/overview/ This considers our roles in regard to:  gender politics, ethics, governance, transhumanism, biohacking, colonialism, post-colonialism, neoliberalism, biopolitics and accelerationism.

It also links back to what Katherine Hayles said in an interview with Josephine Bosma, 20 years ago, on Nettime, when talking about Patchwork Girl, an artwork made by Shelley Jackson in 1995, a hypertext fiction and remix of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. “As the unified subject is thus broken apart and reassembled as a multiplicity, the work also highlights the technologies that make the textual body itself a multiplicity." - http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-9811/msg00064.html

>I’m also unsure that Jennifer Lyn Morone’s work is a good resistance
>strategy, as much as I like the work – I like it a lot and I like the
>way it helps me to visualise and think about the artists role in broader
>economic systems. But it doesn’t say that we need different ownership or
>no ownership – just different owners. It doesn’t challenge the
>proprietorial logic of enclosure so it reproduces the system it critiques.

>Is Jennifer Lyn Moron’es decision to incorporate herself a comment on the
>position of the creative practitioner within this broader knowledge economy?

Haraway proposes that, “The proper state for a Western person is to have ownership of the self, to have and hold a core identity as if it were a possession.” And, that “Not to have property in the self is not to be a subject, and so not to have agency.” (Haraway 1991) Donna Haraway. Simians, Cyborgs, and Women: The Reinvention of Nature. Free Association Books. 1991. P.135.

I agree, however, not 'only' in a monetary way, but, also in all aspects of life - full, self-ownership of everything. You own what previously owned you, with others.

>I think what’s more interesting is the idea of a set of practices where
>artists are, as you put it, “claiming their own cultural identity through
>their art, on their own cultural terms.”

>I actually feel like Furtherfield, and Furtherfield artists I’ve encountered
>are the closest I’ve come to that. For example, I had the pleasure of being
>on a panel with Sarah Friend, an artist whose work you commissioned. Sarah’s
>really interesting n that she’s a blockchain developer by day and an artist
>by night, but she struggles with keeping these spheres separate and thinks a
>lot about how separating her art practice from this commercial output is impossible.
>https://www.furtherfield.org/events/clickmine-s-friend/

>Speaking to Sarah gave me a glimpse of how artists could use the blockchain to
>imagine different subjectivities. It wasn’t about hacking the system from the
>inside out or even necessarily building new kinds of property relations for
>artists, but chipping away at the social structures that validate particular
>forms of ownership. Sarah uses blockchain in her work as a way of playing out
>and imagining other kinds of social systems and rules and that is truly inspiring.

Sarah Friend's work 'Clickmine' was proposed in response to The CryptoDetectorist – hoards, coins and trades call for proposals from Furtherfield and NEoN Digital Arts Festival. While archaeology has often understood cultures through excavations of hoards and coins, we asked, what will today’s digital currencies tell future archaeologists about the way we live and trade?

Clickmine is a hyperinflationary ERC-20 token that is minted by a clicking game. Clicking games, like cookie clicker and cow clicker, are the reductio ad absurdum of a ‘game’ (brutalist with a sense of humour). Clickmine moves similar mechanics onto the blockchain, in a hypercapitalist frenzy that makes the generation of useless wealth via clicking more literal than ever before. The cryptocurrency ecosystem, (particularly the Ethereum network), has been overrun by the phenomena of token sales or ICOs (Initial Coin Offerings). The fervor to purchase ERC-20 tokens (a meta currency that exists on top of Ethereum itself) has reached such an intensity that it stalls the processing time of the network. This has already prompted the creation of satirical coins UselessToken and Ponzicoin.

Thanks for you time,

marc

Marc Garrett

Co-Founder, Co-Director and main editor of Furtherfield.
Art, technology and social change, since 1996
http://www.furtherfield.org

Furtherfield Gallery & Commons in the park
Finsbury Park, London N4 2NQ
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery
Currently writing a PhD at Birkbeck University, London
https://birkbeck.academia.edu/MarcGarrett
Just published: Artists Re:thinking the Blockchain
Eds, Ruth Catlow, Marc Garrett, Nathan Jones, & Sam Skinner
Liverpool Press - http://bit.ly/2x8XlMK

Latest post: Unlocking Proprietorial Art Systems interview:
with Artists, Gretta Louw, Antonio Roberts & Annie Abrahams
https://bit.ly/2HQM1bs

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Thanks a million for your exciting article. I’m responding hastily because I have only a little time before crèche pick up and also because that’s the joy of Nettime J Maybe we can tease some of this out further in subsequent conversation.

I very much liked this article as a reflection on the nature of enclosure in relation to the art world.

You started with a question along the lines of:

How can we think of art as a system that struggles against neoliberalism when it’s so infected by the logic of that system? Or ‘are creative and critical practices doomed to perpetuate a neoliberal logic?’ I’ve been wondering this a lot recently as I have been doing interviews and research on artists who are using various kinds of financial instruments, including the blockchain, in their work. Sometimes the work is ostensibly a critique of the market but more often it seems like an over-identification with the financial system. This isn’t to say that there’s a pure moment in history where art and finance are opposed, but just that artists are increasingly adopting the language of financial systems in relation to their own work – the artist is an entrepreneurial figure hedging the value of their own work and creatively engaging in the market.  A critical reflection of this is something like Jennifer Lyn Morone ™ a work that Marc mentions later in this essay.

[...]

As your discussion of enclosure shows, we can see that proprietary relations involve much more than putting up a fence or drawing a boundary; the first step is speaking and representing a thing as though it is a resource that can be owned rather than a set of interlocking relations and obligations (https://www.routledge.com/The-Political-Uncommons-The-Cross-Cultural-Logic-of-the-Global-Commons/Milun/p/book/9780754671398 is great on this  - also Tania Li. Similarly, with the enclosure of information, knowledge and culture, it’s not just about IP and copyright, but also about the practices and ways of thinking and engaging with knowledge and culture that makes it ownable. You give a few examples of this when you discuss the enclosure of tacit and shared knowledge by pharmaceutical companies and the enclosure of social relations and user generated content over social media platforms.

[...]

Got to rush! Thanks for sharing.

X Rachel