Ulises Mejias on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:44:27 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Help us test the Algorithm Observatory prototype

The Algorithm Observatory prototype is ready for testing, and I was hoping you could help us.

Part media literacy project and part citizen science experiment, Algorithm Observatory can help us understand how algorithms categorize us. This version is only a prototype with limited functionality that works with Facebook ads. But eventually, Algorithm Observatory will allow anyone to study any social computing algorithm. Our hope is that educators can use it as a learning environment.

Right now, you can help us in two ways:

First, feel free to test it by submitting reports. It's really simple. All you need to do is fill out a survey and then upload screen captures of Facebook ads. If you encounter any bugs, please let me know.

Second, tell your friends about Algorithm Observatory! The more people we can get to test it, the better.

Thank you for your support.

Associate Professor, SUNY Oswego
author of Off the Network and, with Nick Couldry, of Colonized by Data (forthcoming)

beacon