David Garcia on Mon, 28 May 2018 17:12:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Towards a Non-facebook

Thanks happy to join Pit’s initiative

> Lets call it #non-facebook.
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/217513475509054/

I am interpreting Pit's challenge to the tactics of anti-Facebook
movement as being based on a recognition that
we live in a world where the digital and the social are so
entangled that (as recent events have shown) not even
Facebook is in control of Facebook. This combined with
hard reality of the 'network effect’ makes it a bad moment to
leave the internal FB territory un-contested.

Not a day passes without another strange event as a consequence of
of the fact that digital platforms are no longer simply -facilitating -
recording - analysing- the world but Increasingly INTERVENING.
Furthermore as these interventions are overwhelmingly
automated and therefore instaneous, we see a collapse in the
tradional (deliberative) space between knowing and acting.
The epistemic and existentialist consequences of the dissapearence of this
space is as yet unknown. They are there to be both feared and explored..

This erasure is a likely factor behind what Michal Seemann calls
"The Digital Tailspin" with his claim of an era of structural inteterminacy and the
exponential rise in so called "black swan" events.

There is no more need for Zukerberg’s edict for his employees
"to move fast and break things”. Its the sytems (not only the sisters) that “are
doing it for themselves”.

Some artists and sociologists .. Constant Dullart (his army of FB bots),
Erica Scourti (her ghosted biography based on her data-body) and Noortje Marres
in her many papers and book Digital Sociology that are treating these platforms not
simply as instrumental space (where we have a fixed idea of what something is for)
but as open-ended.

As Marres wrote “not treating social relations and activity as a given and unchanging
but as a set of activities, patterns and forms that may shift expand and are thus
transformable, digital technologies can be said to invite an experimental
approach to sociality”.

David Garcia