Jaromil on Fri, 11 May 2018 14:09:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Please support the first global facebook user strike

dear Anni,

On Sat, 05 May 2018, Anni Roolf wrote:

>    Thank you for the pros and cons. Did you guys also read the
>    medium article? [1]bit.ly/facebreak2018 In my experience it’s
>    hard to consider such a campaign in advance. To join it can only
>    be a piece of the puzzle, is an experimentation process and will
>    always have unintended — positive and negative — results.

thanks for this initiative, I really agree with you this
experimentation process is important and shouldn't be seen as a
"reformist" approach to the problem. We are dealing with a complex
body of organisms whose vital functions have never been mapped, rather
concealed from us and for which I believe angiographic experiments as
this one are also a possible intervention, besides euthanasia, and can
inform and inspire future developments.

I have been reluctanctly on FB for years, connected with many people,
interacting mostly via bitlbee (messenger to IRC gateway). These days
is becoming obvious to me (just from a sixth sense no need for
metrics) that FB has been already abandoned by many people over the CA
scandal and other campaigns. Interactions over potentially interesting
topics have shrinked a big deal. Things are changing.

Greetings from Dakar, where in the OFF part of the Biennale we had a
mindblowing debate on "decolonising internet" hosted by Ker Thiossane,
with Marion, Oulimata, prof. Tonda and others. In this context of
"non-aligned utopias" and Afropixel festival to me is also clear noone
believes in the services coming from the so called FANG conglomerate
and there is big potential for new, ethical, decolonialised media
platforms.

ciao

--
  Denis Roio a.k.a. Jaromil  http://Dyne.org think &do tank
  Ph.D, CTO & co-founder    software to empower communities