Pirate Praveen on Sat, 5 May 2018 11:25:07 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Please support the first global facebook user strike

On ശ, മേയ് 5, 2018 at 2:40 വൈകു, Anni Roolf <anni.roolf@dezentrale.eu> wrote:
Why it makes sense for me to support the strike as a still facebook user? Raising awareness within the system, giving a hopefully powerful sign that there's a big mistrust of the users, observing how the system reacts (especially if the strike is powerful), letting fb users who are not participating think why they don't strike (feeling the dependence), observing possible sanctions of fb on the strikers: e.g. I thought about setting up a fb event to spread the word; will I be sanctioned for that action? I think, in case this can be a good step to leave the system and to test its power before leaving.

I agree if the goal is to learn about facebook's reaction. But you are not addressing the root of the problem ie, the whole business model of facebook depends on collecting and monetizing the user data. What change/response are you expecting from facebook? Do you expect them to change their business model?

I think setting up an event in facebook can be helpful to see how they react.

I agree, that it's consequent to delete and leave fb now without strike, but I think, that it can be powerful too to set a political and visible sign. The "battle" is taking place on different grounds; different strategies can augment each other.