Patrice Riemens on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 11:31:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> morlock elloi

On 2018-04-08 22:15, Felix Stalder wrote:
When we turned off moderation a couple of months ago, we did so because
we perceived that nettime was limiting itself by too many implicit rules
that had accumulated over time. So we decided to break one, abolish our
position as moderators, as an invitation others to break a few more in
the hope to make room for some new voices/ideas/styles etc. Kinda worked...

For me, the value of the list has always been that it creates a
collective space for reflection. That's a delicate thing. If it becomes
too cozy, it turns into an self-reflective in-group, if it become to
confrontational, then there is little change of actually thinking
together, rather everyone digs in their heels.

I still like the non-moderated flow, but I dislike the sucking noise of
real-time. It turns out, at least for me, one of the best things that
moderation did was to induce semi-random delays, simply because we never
worked on a fixed schedule when to do the manual work of moderation.
Sometimes a few hours would pass, sometimes more a full day before the
message got approved.

We were thinking about ways to introduce that delay again, without
reverting back to moderation. Of course, it could be done, but we didn't do it. So, lets see where this goes. We can break a few more rules if it
helps to push forward our collective attempt to understand and do
something in the present -- whatever that is for each the 4500 people on
the list.

Felix