Carsten Agger on Sun, 8 Apr 2018 19:01:16 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Surveillance Valley - a polemic review

On 04/08/2018 05:35 PM, Geoffrey Goodell wrote:
Hi Carsten,

On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 11:50:59PM +0200, Carsten Agger wrote:
Does that mean that I'm accusing Tor founder Roger Dingledine of being
duplicitous about this? No, but it *does* mean that I'm accusing him of
being politically naive. If you want to stick it to the Man you really
shouldn't be working for him.
This is not a fair characterisation of the motivation of the Tor project
leadership.  The purpose of the Tor project has never been to encumber the
legitimate work of any particular intelligence agency, and let's not forget
that the FVEY agencies are not the only powerful organisations who are
listening.
I'd say that part of the cognitive dissonance stems from the fact that this is not how it has always been presented by privacy activists. Specifically, Tor has been characterized as "NSA-proof" etc.
What Tor achieves is:

(1) to provide a strong low-latency anonymity infrastructure for honest people
seeking to protect the metadata about the origin or destination of their
Internet traffic (dishonest people such as criminals do not need such an
infrastructure to achieve anonymity)
And that's a worthy goal & would be a worthy goal for an activist project that did not receive the support from nor serve the foreign policy interests of the US government. Not because I'm government-phobic, but because these interests are actually related to warfare and colonialism (furthering of economic interests, "opening" of markets, etc.).

Said anonymity can also be achieved by using VPN, though that requires you to trust the VPN provider.

[...]
I would also like to suggest that we can support the mission of the FVEY
agencies even whilst working to keep them (and, importantly, everyone else)
away from our metadata.  And, incredible as it may seem, those agencies can
even support our intention to do so.
Honestly, I don't want to support the mission of the FVEY agencies at all. I see them as part of the military-industrial complex that gave us the Iraq war, in all probability one of the most heinous crimes of the 21st century. Not to mention a large number of other things. I don't want anything to do with them if I can help it.

You may disagree at this point, and that's fair enough, but apart from our respective political standpoints I'd prefer an important privacy tool to not be involved in this kind of politics.

And, if Tor is really a tool which is built and maintained in the interest of the FVEY agencies (since they seem to be the ones footing the bill), what is it exactly we're doing when recommending Tor to activists in Russia or China or Iran? In a way, we're giving them a tool which was developed by the US government to give them cover for activities against their own government. I see that as quite problematic in its own right. I can only imagine the outrage if Tor didn't exist and activists were promoting a similar tool developed by the Russian government and emphasizing how useful it is for leaking information.

Once again, I think a privacy tool promoted by privacy and human rights activists should be above this sort of politics.

Right now there are no serious
low-latency anonymity projects with deployment and research attention
comparable to Tor.  Forgive me when I ask you not to stand in its way.

Given the information we've discussed in this email, which I discussed in my review of Surveillance Valley and which is presented in the corresponding chapter of that book, I no longer feel inclined to recommend the marketing of Tor as a privacy tool. And that's what I'm going to say if anyone asks me. But I'm just a  computer scientist and free software developer in Denmark and don't really have the power to stop people from using this. I also have too many other things to do to make this my crusade, so I'll limit myself to presenting my thoughts if the subject comes up and I deem it relevant.

But I hardly have the power to stand in anyone's way.

Best
Carsten