oli on Sat, 3 Mar 2018 10:07:13 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Josh Hall: Blockchain could reshape our world – and the far right is one step ahead (Guardian)

On 02.03.2018 22:27, Carsten Agger wrote:

> On 03/02/2018 09:17 PM, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>> That article is technical nonsense. 'Blockchain' that has PoW
>> consisting of 1.6 second of handset CPU is trivial to fake. And where
>> is the consensus? Car does the same? Or is car running 500KW GPU
>> cluster doing hash verified by ... who? Cheap PoW ("Proof of Work") is
>> contradiction in terms.
>>
>> This is actually a good illustration of utter bullshit that passes for
>> 'technology'.
>>
>> We need blockchain powered nettime! BLOCKTIME!
>>
> The good thing about the Blockchain-based dystopian visions is that they
> won't ever actually come to pass. Blockchain is impractical and useless
> from a technical point of view. It's pure hype and nothing more.
>
> On the other hand, the bad thing about the Blockchain-based dystopian
> visions is that everything bad that you could conceivably do with a
> Blockchain you could do better and much more efficiently with an
> ordinary database.
>
> So there are definitely reasons to worry about the future surveillance
> nightmare, but Blockchain is not one of those reasons, because it won't
> ever make much of a difference in the technological sense. Its hype
> might, but Blockchain itself is useless outside the realm of
> cryptocurrencies. I say that as someone whose background is in
> technology, specifically computer science.
>
> Best
> Carsten

Hi,

thanks guys for your opinions on blockchais, But neither pointing to
authority in the matter (apprently we are all experts all the time) nor
polemicizing against a non-mature technology will help me in
understanding the phenomena. let's get back to the subject in ten years.

-Oli

--
gpg --recv-keys 0xF7FF417738641ACAB2AABB0540A278BC354F8D5A