www.nettime.org
Nettime mailing list archives

Re: <nettime> John Perry Barlow R.I.P.
Hans Bernhard | UBER Laboratories on Thu, 8 Feb 2018 14:23:47 +0100 (CET)


[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: <nettime> John Perry Barlow R.I.P.


following the logic of the text below, people like barlow (and i am glad that i have resisted reading his texts nor listened to the music he wrote) are co-responsible for the way our world deals with the evolution and politics of technology and why our civil society has been deflected and divided and as a consequence never had a real chance to form and establish global governing bodies that have leverage against skynet (transnational autonomous corporate ai-organisms). 

by believing in the good of people while opposing governement influence (what the fuck did he think!? - besides his retarded california ideology utopia lsd-fiberoptic-burning-man nrx bs) influencers like jpb created a vacuum that was filled by corporate actors. and we have long lost control over these entities. 

i remember in 2005 during the GWEI (google will eat itself) project when the logical conclusion of the knowledge generated by the project was the the de-privatization of google and its incorporation into the US government (and that was the pragmatic conclusion!). at that time it still would have been possible (i was  not joking at all - ministry for search engines and social media - MSESM). today this is not possible anymore and we are already suffering the dire consequences. 

my final conclusion is a simple but strong  ‘fuck you jpb’ - you were an evil motherfucker in your doing… i guess not in your being.. since i didn’t know the man. btw, the same conclusion and emotion i truthfully expressed at the grave of my waffen-ss grandfather-in-law, whom i loved very much but despised for his doings. 

let's not lie to each other and to ourselves and especially let’s not sugar-coat the actions of people that have just died, just because they were important to us, part of a world/scene we believe to be part of or simply because we liked them. 

hail trump!

hans bernhard-


> On 8. Feb 2018, at 11:59, Patrice Riemens <patrice {AT} xs4all.nl> wrote:
> 
> 
> (bwo Barbara Strebel)
> 
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/02/john-perry-barlow-internet-pioneer-1947-2018
> 
> John Perry Barlow, Internet Pioneer, 1947-2018
> 
> With a broken heart I have to announce that EFF's founder, visionary, and our ongoing inspiration, John Perry Barlow, passed away quietly in his sleep this morning. We will miss Barlow and his wisdom for decades to come, and he will always be an integral part of EFF.
> 
> It is no exaggeration to say that major parts of the Internet we all know and love today exist and thrive because of Barlow’s vision and leadership. He always saw the Internet as a fundamental place of freedom, where voices long silenced can find an audience and people can connect with others regardless of physical distance.
> 
> Barlow was sometimes held up as a straw man for a kind of naive techno-utopianism that believed that the Internet could solve all of humanity's problems without causing any more. As someone who spent the past 27 years working with him at EFF, I can say that nothing could be further from the truth. Barlow knew that new technology could create and empower evil as much as it could create and empower good. He made a conscious decision to focus on the latter: "I knew it’s also true that a good way to invent the future is to predict it. So I predicted Utopia, hoping to give Liberty a running start before the laws of Moore and Metcalfe delivered up what Ed Snowden now correctly calls 'turn-key totalitarianism.'”
> 
> Barlow’s lasting legacy is that he devoted his life to making the Internet into “a world that all may enter without privilege or prejudice accorded by race, economic power, military force, or station of birth . . . a world where anyone, anywhere may express his or her beliefs, no matter how singular, without fear of being coerced into silence or conformity.”
> 
> In the days and weeks to come, we will be talking and writing more about what an extraordinary role Barlow played for the Internet and the world. And as always, we will continue the work to fulfill his dream.
> #  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
> #  <nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
> #  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
> #  more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
> #  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime {AT} kein.org
> #   {AT} nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject:

#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
#  <nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
#  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
#  more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime {AT} kein.org
#   {AT} nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject: