Morlock Elloi on Sun, 31 Dec 2017 22:05:02 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Ten years in, nobody has come up with a use for blockchain

> If Bitcoin's designer(s) had a dozen dozen possible strategies at their disposal, did
> they happen to choose one that would mesh neatly with Austrian theory?

I think there is a misunderstanding here. When I said "other (dozens) of competing ideas which simply could not get any traction", I didn't mean that designers of this particular one (Bitcoin) were randomly choosing between options - they might have been thoroughly monomaniacal in Ayn Rand sense, with a single evil intent in mind. I was referring to other groups/individuals/entities with different proposals, which did *not* catch on. There are many reasons for this, including resources, level of zealotry of supporters, etc.

The point is that the society at large made a choice, and picked one over the others, not being able to make an informed decision. Which goes back to my original point - that abdicating from understanding, and playing futile blame game (deprived Cypherpunks did not get properly influenced by the general morality) goes nowhere.

You seem to be taking the imposition of technology by the dark side as inevitable force, taking the ignorance of the unwashed as given and permanent. This is the position of superstitious ignorance. Then you continue to complain about dark forces being dark, which, as I said, is a dead end - they are not going to adopt your morality through some magic, ever (I'm curious what would you suggest as a cure for libertarian code writers - forced reeducation? off with goolies?)

The technology as a vehicle for ideology works exactly because it's complicated and obscures the deeper logic. A more literate society at large may have not selected the Bitcoin alternative, just as the less literate society will not accept to eat its own shit for breakfast. Only the increased general literacy can make a difference.

I'm aware that this is the same position which Zooko described as "and then the rest will become like us" fallacy, but it has more chance of working than the morality and values bullshit. So far, in human history, increasing the literacy never failed. Unlike the other thing. It might be interesting to investigate why do so many progressives have acute aversion to actual education and literacy that matters.

Great analysis of 90s cpunks, BTW. There is a more complete archive (1997-2005) at https://marc.info/?l=cypherpunks