Christian Pietsch on Fri, 24 Nov 2017 12:42:48 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Critical literature on big tech corps?

Hi Kasper,

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 10:57:47AM +0100, Kasper Skov wrote:
> Two examples that might help you can an idea of what I am looking for:
> Christl, W., & Spiekermann, S. (2016). Networks of Control. Facultas.

Christl & Spiekermann is an excellent overview of commercial
surveillance. Another obvious reference would be:

  Zuboff, Shoshana (8 August 2017). Master Or Slave?: The Fight for
  the Soul of Our Information Civilization. ISBN 9781610395694.

Before this book appeared, the FAZ newspaper published an essay based
on it [1]. It was discussed on this list in March 2016. In it, Zuboff
coined the term “surveillance capitalism” [2].

[1] http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/debatten/the-digital-debate/shoshana-zuboff-secrets-of-surveillance-capitalism-14103616.html
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_capitalism

Cheers,
Christian

--
  Christian Pietsch | library technologist also volunteering for
  https://digitalcourage.de | https://bigbrotherawards.de