Ian Alan Paul on Mon, 6 Nov 2017 13:53:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Algorithmic / Biometric Governmentality

While this has turned into an interesting discussion on the (non?)future of AI, it's important to remind ourselves that what Zeynep is describing (and control societies in general) don't rely on the existence of advanced AI to work.

The power of control societies emerges from the historical conjuncture of biopower (the institutional collection/management of data concerning populations) and computation (the automation of data/information processing that can result in then dynamic modulation of control / the exercise of power).

On Nov 2, 2017 8:54 AM, "charlie derr" <cderr@simons-rock.edu> wrote:
On 11/02/2017 05:29 AM, Vincent Van Uffelen wrote:
> Nevertheless, it [AI] remains a very powerful tool, and it is in the
> hands of a very few (and their software engineer/programmer management
> layer).

While it's still in the embryonic stages, I just wanted to mention a
rather ambitious effort to change this reality using blockchain
technology and implementing via open source code:

https://singularitynet.io

https://medium.com/ben-goertzel-on-singularitynet

Their whitepaper is due out any day now.

     best,
          ~c

#  distributed via <nettime>: no commercial use without permission
#  <nettime>  is a moderated mailing list for net criticism,
#  collaborative text filtering and cultural politics of the nets
#  more info: http://mx.kein.org/mailman/listinfo/nettime-l
#  archive: http://www.nettime.org contact: nettime@kein.org
#  @nettime_bot tweets mail w/ sender unless #ANON is in Subject: