Felix Stalder on Wed, 1 Nov 2017 12:29:25 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> "Europe and the Regions"

I know, everyone could do this for themselves, but I just like to check
regularly on the progress of machine translation services, at the moment
mainly those of deepl.com, and I'm continue to be amazed.

-----------------------------------

Europe and the Regions

October 30,2017

Far beyond the place of the regions in Europe, the events in Catalonia
raise with renewed force a fundamental question.

Can we build Europe and at the same time promote the emergence of more
autonomous or even independent regions?

Is it not Europe's vocation to unite, to unite, while the emergence of
autonomous or independent regions will fragment and divide it?

Today's conflicts often stem from disappointments and frustrations of
the past.

Europe's regional policy took a long time to establish itself. It was
born in the wake of the Treaty of Rome, of the Member States' awareness
of the seriousness of regional imbalances whose persistence could
jeopardise the social and economic cohesion of the community; regional

It is true that the creation of the European Community took place in a
context where centralisation was the common characteristic of the
founding states.

With Catalonia, we are once again confronted with the only question that
matters:

Which Europe do we want? Actor of the world or puzzle of regions?

What would be the political weight of a Europe reduced to a jigsaw
puzzle of regions?

However, Europe, which is a land of freedoms, human rights and
democracy, cannot ignore the expectations of its citizens and respond
only by force to these demands.

In a democracy, we talk to each other, we dialogue. Dialogue is about
acknowledging the other, respecting him.

Giving more room to the regions would not weaken Europe, but would bring
it closer to the citizens; it would make it less distant and more humane.

Basically, Europe, like France and Spain, are confronted with two
movements that may seem contradictory:

- A movement towards more Europe
- A movement towards greater proximity, local democracy, local authorities.

The challenge is not to give them coherence and not to oppose them?

Jacques VUILLEMIN 25000 Besançon.

On 2017-11-01 11:58, Patrice Riemens wrote:

> Yes, sorry, it's in French. But it's a well-'epibrated' (Dutch fancy
> word coined by poet Simon Carmiggelt) piece on the dilemma United nation
> states Europe vs United regionally fragmented Europe:
>

> L’Europe et les Régions

<...>