Morlock Elloi on Fri, 6 Oct 2017 22:32:51 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Spotify Threatened Researchers Who Revealed ‘Pirate’ History

Enterprises vehemently oppose being tracked and analyzed, which is exactly what they are doing to their users. This makes it obvious that the object of tracking and analyzing suffers damage, in short and long term, because someone outside knows its internal state, and can use it against such object.

The idea that this is not pure damage but 'benefit' ("we know when you get erection, so we can assist") is ludicrous, but somehow this doesn't enter the prevalent discourse.

Perhaps the tables can be turned, and the same narrative can be used to persuade the enterprises that public knowing their secrets is good for the enterprises, as the public will be able to serve them better.