Ian Alan Paul on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 20:45:13 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The alt-right and the death of counterculture

"the arc of social movement experience shows that anarchist/autonomist exodus strategies have reached a dead end. Unfortunately, demos like those in Hamburg are just a detail for the state, they don't spill over to the general population and their main effect is to feed the militarization of the police."

I think we agree that anarchist/autonomist exodus strategies, *by themselves*, have proven to be a dead end, just as every other strategy (on its own) has. I certainly don't mean to suggest that everyone should don a balaclava to be effective.

I suppose I'm interested in those moments where something more complex happens, or as you've said where "cross-class, cross-race movements" emerge that also generate "resistant community and psychic disalienation along the way." This mixture of autonomous and local cultural/political projects and a critical engagement with the institutions of the state is precisely what makes Spain such an important example for us in the present, particularly because of the anarchist histories in Spain that inform this approach that are quite distinct from the German/Italian/French autonomists.

The images of the massive black bloc and burning luxury cars in Hamburg are of course on all of the newspapers' front pages, but it's also important to note that a radically diverse grouping of organizations participated in the demonstrations including ones focusing on global infrastructure, regulation, and the environment. It's also important to note that the police attacked all of this formation alike, whether at protest camps, raves, gatherings, marches, etc., regardless of the color of the attire.

We're unquestionably in an interesting and volatile historical moment that also carries along all of the implicit dangers that you've described Brian, and I think that the central question we face will remain something along the lines of: How can geographically, politically, economically, and culturally diverse communities find ways of coordinating and acting in solidarity with one another against all that presently threatens all of our collective livelihood? There certainly isn't a singular answer to this (and we should oppose those who would suggest otherwise), but nonetheless producing different kinds of contingent answers to this question is what concerns me most.

Let's hope we continue to find ways of producing "a break and the invention of something new" that is as contagious as it is resilient.

Best,
   ~i