Florian Cramer on Mon, 15 May 2017 15:59:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Neoliberalism & alt-rght trolls

It's a yes and no, depending on the definition of neoliberalism you
use. If you define neoliberalism along the lines of Hayek and Mises as
libertarianism light, then yes, there are overlaps, particularly in
cyber libertarianism.

Within the larger current network and discourse of the "Alt-Right",
the cyber libertarian positions of Neo-Reaction ("NRx")/right-wing
accelerationism and Peter Thiel mark these points of intersection.
But also the support of Bitcoin (whose design is based on Hayek's
economics) in larger, hacker culture-sympathetic parts of the
"Alt-Right".

The populist mainstream of the "Alt-Right", however, is
anti-neoliberal; not only because of its resentment against what it
perceives as liberal identity politics, but also because it opposes
free trade capitalism and demands economic nationalism/isolationism.

These contradictions are already breaking the larger "Alt-Right"
network as we're speaking.

Florian