Molly Hankwitz on Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:50:51 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Why I won't support the March for Science

I agree here with , Morlock. The March for Science is not the problem.
Science is knowledge, learning, knowing. The problem is corporate and
privatized research agenda governing the direction of flows; the problem is
science being made real if that's what serves capitalism. It's gone on
forever and will get worse as Trumps denials go further into effect.
Ethical scientists will refuse to do research for corporations (like Dow)
who want to bend evidence or falsify it in order to proceed. Unethical
scientists will produce the science fiction!

The March for Science was overwhelmingly individuate and white in SF. What
it really needed for me to believe in the efficacy of science as a
political force was larger signs, coalitions from university departments
and think-tanks; presence of top level academies and organizations taking a
stand...instead, while thousands turned out it was pretty benign as a
critical presence.

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 7:41 PM Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's more complicated:
>
> > This would not only create an oligarchy of those of who have the
> > means to fund scientific research for backing up a political demand.
>
> Even worse, it's not about funding scientific research, it's about
> buying 'results' and 'scientists'.

<....>