Brian Holmes on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 20:45:08 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Phillips/Beyer/Coleman: "false assumption that

On 04/21/2017 04:44 AM, David Garcia wrote:

> The question B) More interesting is the second question: Is there something
> inherently alt-right in Anonymous?  Is also tackled in some depth by
> Coleman et al but conclude that the relationshp between alt-right
> “trolling” to 4Chan and Anonymous as no more or less than a subset of a
> faction of an ever-evolving, ever unstable, ever reactive anonyous online
> collective…
>
> Only one thing is clear to me in the fog of meme wars and ever more dubious
> narratives around post-truth and alt.fact, is that the frequently despised
> discipline of -media literacy- needs to be urgently recuperated and updated.

Unlike Biella I have no sustantial research, only an opinion on this
question.

On a horrible disgusting nazi website I read this horribly disgustingly
thing:

"It was on 4chan’s /pol/ that most of the core concepts of what is now
the Alt-Right were figured out. Many of the key “anons” (anonymous
imageboard posters) from this group were people who had previously been
involved in 4chan’s /b/, which is where modern internet trolling
techniques originated.

"The anonymous nature of 4chan allowed for all different sorts of people
to get together and discuss all sorts of ideas, without having those
ideas attached to an identity of any kind (not even an internet
pseudonym). Anti-Semitic and racist jokes had been a key feature of /b/,
but on /pol/ the sentiments behind the jokes slowly became serious, as
people realized they were based on fact. /pol/ became a haven for
virulent anti-Semites and aggressive racists, and tone of the Alt-Right
is drawn directly from these roots on 4chan.

"On 4chan, the Jewish problem was analyzed by news junkies and history
buffs, feminism was deconstructred by sexually frustrated young men, and
race was considered based on the actual data on the issue. The
rehabilitation of Adolf Hitler and the NSDAP largely took place on 4chan."

https://www.dailystormer.com/a-normies-guide-to-the-alt-right

OK, like Felix I HAVE done a lot of research to show that this is a
systemic crisis, which means that the structure of the global political
economy is at a breaking point. All the elements in the
politics-culture-economy-nature relationship are therefore changing.

My opinion is that the Internet, including but not only social media,
brings this process of change to immediate mass expression in such a way
that for most participants, the whole process is MORE reactive, MORE
unconscious, than ever before. People across the earth are being pounded
by intimate outbursts of psychosocial passion twenty-four hours a day,
seven days a week. Forces of systemic change - or you could say,
geo-historical forces - are coursing through the nervous systems and
keyboards of individuals tied into a vast resonating system with no
rudder. It screeches, vibrates wildly and lurches with no chance, for
most participants, to draw a breath, find a moment of quiet and
formulate a response to any of the hundreds of things that may happen
next.  Under these conditions, it's an understatement to say that media
literacy is more important than ever. Literacy means you have an
interpretive framework to make sense of a deluge of signs. Yet we do
not. Even on this list we constantly see people's interpretive
strategies breaking down, because they were not forged within the new
paradigm.

The only way to regain any kind of political autonomy - by which I mean,
the capacity to relate deliberately to the present - is to form groups
that feel, think, discuss and act. The group needs dense ties allowing
it to set up an internal resonance that can rival with the systemic
noise. It needs times and spaces for members to formulate thoughts and
submit them to a discussion that is not erased by next week's emergency.
And it needs to act, both to achieve things and in order to experience
the capacity to steer something in society. Finally, it needs to
interrelate with other groups, not on the basis of the raw expression of
the unconscious described in the horrible nazi rant above, but instead,
on the basis of a sharable constructive aspiration. Only in this way can
it take a further step, toward joining a larger systemic formation that
can help resolve the crisis.

The social unconscious is a horrible disgusting thing, right now in the
so-called Western societies anyway. But we are all inhabited by drives.
Take care of your selves and your groups in the years ahead.

Brian