Molly Hankwitz on Fri, 18 Nov 2016 22:21:11 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is the meaning of Trump's victory?

   dear all,
   we shouldn't assume that racism is the only force behind the voting,
   no. but, given that the election was already skewed in the direction of
   white, southern and midwestern wealthier voters with the undermining of
   voters' rights (supreme court decison 2013) it is no wonder that
   130,000 african americans did not even turn up to vote in detroit. the
   election was already racist. the state of the psyche of black americans
   already oppressed. the media largely :"stuck" as per usual in a binary
   --- trump or clinton, trump or clinto -- when in point of fact, civil
   rights were eroded in Republican expectation for 2016 elections.
   consider the attempts to destroy the government by republicans during
   Obama's administration.
   this does not answer the question of why people voted for trump. some
   say its all about a true disenfranchisement from what was perceived as
   a "too educated" liberal administration under Obama...though they may
   have voted him in.
   its usually economics - jobs - as well - then there could have been the
   weakness of the dem candidate.
   several, more than several factors at play - essentially, though, the
   republican party IS a racist party and i stand with anyone in objection
   to that, but politically we need to focus upon rebuilding the strength
   of civil rights and refusing further erosian , if we believe that
   equality is the go
   molly