Molly Hankwitz on Wed, 16 Nov 2016 06:51:04 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is the meaning of Trump's victory?

sebastien, thanks for this brilliant explanation. i get it - no ethics
in what they are monetizing...got that.

spin the spin for the sake of capitalist media profit, regardless. and
i'll have to look into "games of disruption" as you mention. seems
like its quite a bit about that...since there so much sudden activity,
for one, across social media, but also because, I sense this is going
to be an new era of info-war...and hacking...hacking already playing
such a mainstream role as to suspect the russians - but, seriously,
going to look for "said" information may wind up in pages which have
disappeared? and then there's clone sites and other means - seems like
we are moving in this direction - very quickly now - and cybersecurity
may transform in meaning, privilege print?

apparently trumps' followers from rust belt are far more digitally
disinclined than we in our bubbles. this is one reason they felt "left
out" during obama presidency - its not only about racism, also about
economic depletion in information economy, everything coming from TV,
not enough digital literacy.

thanks
molly

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 5:15 AM, <sebastian@rolux.org> wrote:

> > On Nov 14, 2016, at 11:41 PM, Molly Hankwitz <mollyhankwitz@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > "The battle, however, is extremely uphill. Not just because there
> > will be a lot of damage done over the next couple of years by
> > the victorious far right, but also because we swapped a media
> > landscape that promoted the neo-liberal consensus (old media) with
> > one that thrives on creating filter-bubbles or flame wars as modes of
> > high-energy, manic engagements."
> >
> > how is that swapping seen/done? - thriving on "filter-bubbles"
> > -- you mean like creating niches which are an illusory state of
> > "agreement" and therefore may obscure deeper disagreement ? or
> > important sensibilitiy?
>

> For a glimpse into the future of "news", take a look at the New Yorker's
> portrait of Mike Cernovich:
>
> http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/10/31/trolls-for-trump

<....>