Paolo Gerbaudo on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 19:10:24 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> What is the meaning of Trump's victory?

Great thread. Here are my 5 cents.=20

Trump shows what the new political battlefield in the post-crash era is. Neo=
liberalism is bankrupt and so are the Left contestational ideologies of the n=
eoliberal era. The field of 'historicity' that is of what defines the future=
 form of society has drifted dramatically. We cannot play the old tune. If w=
e do we are toast. The new battle for values and beliefs revolve around comm=
unity, security and sovereignty. See my article on politics of sovereignty o=
n this issue https://www.opendemocracy.net/paolo-gerbaudo/post-neoliberalism=
-and-politics-of-sovereignty

These are notions the anti-neoliberal imbued as it was with a reversal yet a=
cceptance of the neoliberal worldview has come to see as passe, authoritaria=
n.. you name it. Yet, they point to the alternative vision we need to constr=
uct from the Left in these post-neoliberal times. We cannot leave sovereignt=
y to the Right. We need to construct a progressive vision of sovereignty and=
 there are in fact already many people who are doing that. =46rom Podemos to=
 the municipalist initiatives in Barcelona and Madrid, we are seeing a progr=
essive reclaiming of the idea of sovereignty. Sovereignty of the commons, te=
chnological sovereignty, sovereignty as self-determination and condition for=
 inclusion. This is the terrain we need to fight on. It may seem an hostile t=
errain, but still we have little choice. Either we develop a progressive vie=
w of sovereignty in which territorial communities are reclaimed as a inclusi=
ve space of protection against the ravages of globalisation or we will be va=
nquished. Let's not underestimate the stakes of the present political confli=
ct. The parallels with the 1930s are too evident to be ignored.=20

Best,

Paolo

Paolo Gerbaudo
Lecturer in Digital Culture and Society
Culture, Media and Creative Industries department and Digital Humanities dep=
artment
King's College London

> On 14 Nov 2016, at 10:22, Alex Foti <alex.foti@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> keith is mindblowing (razorsharp and bighearted at same time) but i
> think he misrepresents trump as a neoliberal/neoconservative variant
> - this is shocking like reagan was to the 70s but has a properly
> fascistic, not a conservative agenda - i mean no neoliberal ever
> would propose to deport 3 million people (neoliberalism favors in
> general free flows of capital, trade, people exactly in that order).
> about federalism: could regionalism be its 21st century equivalent?
> catalunyans and scots showing the way?

<...>