Brian Holmes on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 09:42:40 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Greek reality board game.: 'Pawnshop- Days of Mistrust'

On 09/07/2016 07:16 AM, David Garcia wrote:

My question is where will we be able to play the BIG game of
contesting neo-liberal power. It won’t be on the streets alone or
in national parliaments alone.. And probably not on our own as
single nations, but eventually and most effectively it can begin as
the actions taken by regional blocks on the long road to a greater
convergence of progressive poitics. Its a long game that we should
be playing not abandoning the field.

I agree with you David. I don't think one should adopt the "either/or"
approach. It is not about EITHER large-scale conventional formal
institutional politics OR molecular radical subversive micro-politics.
The only way I can see it is to do both. Abandoning the field worsens
the general situation. Embracing it entirely worsens your own self
and renders any breakthrough, any paradigm shift, just impossible. To
be a radical and a reformist at the same time does not make sense,
but neither does the world. Frankly I find people who cannot play two
desperate games at once to be lacking a tragic sense of engagement
with the times.... Marcuse always used to say, "Yes, but remember to
vote!"

best, BH