Jaromil on Tue, 12 Jul 2016 00:40:58 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Ethereum: DAO - "The Attacker"

On Thu, 07 Jul 2016, Morlock Elloi wrote:

> Are we trying to create God, to relieve us from responsibility? Is
> it possible that the race to automate is not really about the few
> controlling the many?

Arguably is not that grim in the Minds of the Creators (sarcastic
upper-case) as young and naive as they are. At least there is fair
play and understanding of what the few others are doing in the same
sphere. They are reading, they may even be capable of critical
thoughts, one day. One day! they may even go beyond the profit lenses
of the Peter-Molock-Thiel brain-fu'er.

For instance Vitalik, who has been bashed over the top for the DAO
desaster (which is actually not primarily his fault) back some months
ago pointed out how important is Amir's effort (removed from Popper's
book for political reasons) when he built a new implementation of the
same algorithm as bitcoin
https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/what-libbitcoin-and-sx-are-and-why-they-matter-1376064919

God is in the Other, taking up the effort of going up that Mountain.
Meanwhile impostors are all over and easy to spot, their sloth posture
on the NYT branch won't pay them even half of the capital of an
"honest" Bitcoin gambler. Now, for a change, that's Magical!

Oh cozy nettime, this was quite of a wise thread
very enjoyable reading you all, amazing words Felix!

So well, it seems to me that, contrary to most projects around, this
is not really a selfish race to success, one of the main reasons I
still can appreciate the human background behind Bitcoin et al.. there
is some René Daumal in that magic powder, believe me. yes there are a
few, but they contemplate each other, not necessarily desiring to
cover up each other efforts. Is this really defining what an elite is?

God is in the details, as usual.... Or was that the Devil?

ciao

--
~.,_   Denis Roio aka Jaromil    http://Dyne.org think &do tank
    "+.   CTO and co-founder      free/open source developers