Frank Rieger on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 18:55:48 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The 'Jake' Appelbaum case, or the rise and fall of celebrities

On 10 Jun 2016, at 13:07, Patrice Riemens <patrice@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> It has a lot to do with numbers. These, surprisingly, looked to be in
> our favor. Gatherings were ever bigger, the amount of people and
> resources mobilized were ever larger. It was probably a delusion. Just
> as the numbers increased, so decreased actual, personal participation.
> Larger groups foster 'strong personalities' - and Jake is surely one,
> for better or worse - and transform the rest, by sheer inertia, into
> mostly passive followers.

I do not agree that this is a feature of the hacking community in
general. We had strong worries about a decreasing number of volunteers
when the CCC congress grew 3x. To the contrary, the percentage share of
people volunteering to work hard and still pay for their ticket actually
grew, both at Camp and Congress.

I do see a large difference between the US and the European scene
though. The "celebrity" problem you diagnosed is most prevalent in the
US. The idea of "rockstar" hackers, programmers etc. has never taken so
much hold in Europe or Germany. There was of course some of it at the
events, but mostly because so many US hackers came over and brought
their fandom and propensity for hax0r-divas and drama with them. But:
the more "celebrity" someone is, the more critical scrutiny talk
submissions receive in the CCC event content selection process. We take
the "distrust authorities" thing quite serious, and even more so now.
And "media-whoring" is generally frowned upon, at least in CCC circles.

However, there are clearly problems tied to more people in our groups
and at our events. The wider the "cultural space" that our community
inhabits becomes, the more people come to our events and share our
general ideas, the more important a shared understanding of values in
interpersonal relations become. It is long known that smaller groups of
people can self-police. Larger groups have a larger numeric likelihood
of assholes being present combined with a reduced sense of individual
responsibility (which is different from the general willingness to put
in work), so security and safety need more thought and innovation. Not
just at the events.

The question for me is not how we could shrink or splinter the
community, as you seem to suggest. It is rather how we can develop an
shared equivalent of what is known as "due process" for conflicts and
violations of our values that are (by nature or choice) not subject to
the realm of normal law enforcement. I don´t have concrete ideas, but
I see the need to research and develop this field. The "court of social
media opinion" has certainly demonstrated now its inherent unsuitability
often enough.

Thanks & Greetings from Berlin,

Frank Rieger