jan hendrik brueggemeier on Sat, 7 May 2016 14:09:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Live Your Models

Hi Florian -

Thanks for sharing this. The critique of folk politics is an interesting
one. Although I share Brian's view about to focus on a more convergent
approach "to work constructively with the many forms of resistance". I
also feel like that a small scale approach, although maybe not the most
efficient one, is still a very promising and important step in
disentangling ourselves from more globalist forms of economy that just
keeps sleepwalking in one direction.

Speaking of radical pragmatism and following your logical explanation, I
wonder if the most pragmatic and probably radical measure in terms of
energy efficiency and human impact on climate change would be to control
the growth of the human population. And in consequence to avoid that
human population will reach 10 billion.

The American, women-led initiative Conceivable Future
(http://conceivablefuture.org/) with its slogan "The climate crisis is a
reproductive crisis" does hint in this direction but in the end avoids
deliberately any final and fixed views on this topic.

I understand that Tim Palmer in "Beyond Futility" is arguing that to not
address population growth within an US American context is actually a
capitalist agenda. In this light immigration, which is the main driver
for population in the US also means that the number of consumers in one
of the highest per capita energy consuming economies keeps growing.
According to people like Palmer no efficiency measure can keep up with
this growth of population.

Not having settled on a position here myself, I do wonder if this is
the elephant in the room for the discussion here.

Jan