morlockelloi on Sat, 26 Sep 2015 00:58:17 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> ***SPAM*** Re: VW

Consumers have been at the mercy of technology vendors for a long time. The novelty here is that it is the government that found itself in the subordinate role.

The lowdown is that the technology one doesn't fully understand and have full transparency into ("user") can and will screw you, and no amount of regulations can change that. Anything with software is especially insidious in this sense, as for most users it is impossible to fully grasp it.

The upside is that this enables multiple centers of power (from startups to VW), so in a way we are entering the age of pre-feudal fiefdoms. Whether the government model will prevail or not depends on how much power the illiterates have. I wouldn't hold my breath.