Jaromil on Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:28:24 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> September 11-12: SAMIZDATA: Tactics and Strategies for

On Mon, 07 Sep 2015, Tatiana Bazzichelli wrote:

> SAMIZDATA: Tactics and Strategies for Resistance
> Conference by Disruption Network Lab

many thanks to tbazz and her fantastic team for organizing this and also
a few months ago for hosting the book launch of "Cyborg" by Antonio
Caronia, finally translated to english. I'm definitely looking forward

here a written introduction to the short presentation I'm contributing to the
panel, which is willingly critical and hopefully thought provoking.

"Demilitarize technology.

An insider's critique of contemporary hacker politics".

This is the title of the upcoming presentation by Jaromil at our conference
SAMIZDATA. He will speak in the panel SAMIZDATA: Strategies for Resistance, on
September 12 Â 2015 Â 15:00-17:00 (http://www.disruptionlab.org/samizdata/).

"As heroic as it is, the act of whistleblowing is not scalable nor socially
sustainable on the long term. Many people are aware of the urgency for speaking
out about the injustice of how institutions are betraying their mandate and
working against the interest of open societies, but this narrative is also
threatening the possibility for the growth of socially sound networks of trust.
On a subjective level, while we constantly risk to be obsessed by revelations
about the global surveillance panopticon and the military-industrial complex,
we are also exposed to mass-deceiving propaganda and media manipulations, while
even inter-personal communication becomes a field for the expanding narrative
of total war.

This intervention does not suggests to reject awareness for the sake of peace
of mind. It reflects on the possibility for an hacker subject to maintain
integrity and seek a positive constituency for her relations. The task becomes
complex as the subject in question, the hacker, has also been extremely
popularized by mass-media for a prometeic role mostly oriented on its
individual dimension, rather than social.

Such a reflection will turn its attention to the traits characterizing the
needs and propositions of hackers and how those are perceived by the larger
public, influence social life and inform the reactions of public and private
apparata. It will consider our role in relation with the needs and desires of
larger masses of people and how that can lead to an inclusive narrative of
peace, not war.

Presumably fostering a dialogue with the audience, this talk will include time
for extensive Q&A and debate, trying to collectively focus on novel strategies
to demilitarize the narrative that hackers are weaving and seek a social
dimension for what could be still defined a tormented consciousness".

--
Denis Roio aka Jaromil   http://Dyne.org think &do tank
  CTO and co-founder      free/open source developer