Alexander Karschnia on Tue, 3 Feb 2015 01:30:29 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Fwd: The Greek elections?

   In Germany an appeal was started by Jürgen Link (editor of the
   magazine kultuRRevolution), because the media-coverage of the Greek
   elections has been extremly distorted:

   http://appell-hellas.de/?page_id=105

   The appeal is directed towards "German Greeks and Greek Germans", but
   now it is also translated into English, so I guess the spectrum it
   adresses has broadened.

   Very interesting to see, how "Europe" begins to be a point of reference
   also for the far left, for example in the mobilization to come to the
   opening of the European Central Bank in Frankfurt/M. on March 18th:

   http://www.thecommuneofeurope.org/

     > On 01/28/2015 02:44 AM, Flick Harrison wrote:
     >> The militant nationalism that Tsipras displayed by visiting the
     >> Resistance memorial makes me think Syriza is stupid, or talking to
     >> the stupid.  The fascist threat isn't rolling into Greece in
     >> panzers; it's a few inches to the right of their coalition partners
     >> ANEL.  Maybe this theatrical bow to violence was actually intended
     >> for a far right audience, either to attract them, or threaten them,
     >> or both?  Surely the Germans are inured to WWII references by now?

     This is really too perverse a reading of this event. Syriza is
     becoming the first truly European political party that has emerged in
     the context of this freaky organisation we call the European Union.
     One needs only to see how Syriza's political agenda is always-already
     European. Its electoral success is inherently linked to the analysis
     of the problem of Greek debt and of Troika austerity policies in
     Greece as a European problem and to the imagining of building a
     European movement against them. More so, it's proposed solution to
     this problem is again inherently European: asking for a European
     conference on debt to deal with the writing off of state debt in
     several countries, demanding a new architecture for the Eurozone,
     proposing some type of European new deal, etc. The worst case
     scenario in the ongoing negotiations with the EU is that Syriza will be
     offered some kind of compromise within the "national horizon" on easing the
     Greek debt and the existing austerity policies, so that the larger
     European problems can remain under the carpet. If Syriza takes this
     possible deal, then it will be transformed to a regular national
     political party.
 <...>