mp on Wed, 18 Jun 2014 09:44:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> a free letter to cultural institutions

On 16/06/14 22:26, Magnus Boman wrote:

> Great examples from Florian Cramer. Having run an indie record
> company and music publishing house for 32 years, I could add that
> punk attitude is something that extends far beyond any musical
> genre (punk included) and that incorporates a disdain from any
> representative of jurisprudence. The latter represent a world of
> order, when in fact the bands want chaos. A great example is the
> Pirate Bay guys' decidedly punk attitude towards lawyers in the AFK
> movie.

Well said, although - it should be noted - jurisprudence is not
the realm of lawyers, like, say, a programmer's job isn't what an
end-user does. Jurisprudence addresses the making of laws, how they
come into being, how they function and so on. Lawyers are mere rules
accountants, vultures who come to feed once the interesting process
has died.

In other words, jurisprudence could be, should be, precisely the
undoing of what is so distasteful about the law and lawyers. Anarchist
jurisprudence, one might say.

Not a lot of it about, but it's a good idea. Here is an
embryonic student-made example in the context of software,
which resonates with some of the things said in this
current debate about the problems with Free Culture:
http://www.commoner.org.uk/index.php?p=107 -- in fact, it has a
substantial critique of socalled the Free Culture enterprisers:
http://www.commoner.org.uk/N14/the-commoner-14-winter-2010-chapter1.pdf

punk on!