Jaromil on Mon, 16 Jun 2014 13:27:13 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> a free letter to cultural institutions

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014, Florian Cramer wrote:

> The punk band example is relatively harmless. For software
> developers, any kind of free license (free according to the criteria
> of FSF and Debian, respectively Open Source according to the OSI
> criteria) gives no whatsoever means to prevent that the software/the
> code is used for military purposes, by secret services like the
> NSA (whose infrastructure is running on free software to a large
> degree), or for the clouds of Facebook, Google &c., for racial
> profiling and, in the most extreme case, genocide logistics.

This is a rather weak position: believing that such restrictions for
the use of digitally encoded materials can ever be enforced.

You do make a beautiful point when you mention and practice the choice
of distributing materials using different media supports...

> The problem is that all these applications fall within the "freedom"
> of free software, the right to use software "for any purpose", which
> ultimately means freedom as in free market. There are many people in
> the hacker community, such as Felix von Leitner from Chaos Computer
> Club (also developer of dietlibc), who are now thinking critically
> about this aspect.

I really have my doubts this will have any effect. Smells like even
more work for lawyers and I'm Not Sure who can win that game.

However for the record this exists since a while http://www.egpl.info

The 1st license it was born for was nonMil http://www.egpl.info/feeds/1

It was Philippe Langlois who showed me this back in 2007 I think, we had
quite some discussions about it at the first "hackerspace festival" in
/tmp/lab Paris

ciao

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: 6113 D89C A825 C5CE DD02  C872 73B3 5DA5 4ACB 7D10