© Robbins on Mon, 19 May 2014 02:44:25 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Gentrification - or a focus on income and wealth?

..... Or old men in 20 room town-homes for themselves and their cachet of trophy wives ..... :)

More seriously,

In piggybacking on the San Francisco discussion, gentrification has always been a salient issue endemic to San Francisco - since I arrived 20 yrs ago.  My understanding is that its legacy recedes far back into the city's logarithmic history, as well as that of other metropolises the most obvious being NYC.  This only becomes exacerbated in those sited on limited geographic land masses.

This is not to dismiss the importance of your statement below, it is merely to state that this is a looping scenario in the annals of recent histories.  Most unfortunately, it is one that never seems to advance beyond a v. limited debate....and it dearly needs to ... and requires us all to actively participate.  We need to ask ourselves why we continue to allow scenarios such as what you describe below ( which are not uncommon to those of us living in the urban centers,) to take place unabated.  Clearly, our complicity is no longer acceptable....but what options can we not only envision but, perhaps more importantly right now, actualize?

Chris

On May 18, 2014, at 8:20 AM, Alexandre Carvalho wrote:

> Dear all;
>
> Gentrification has always been an issue to the people that suffer its
> consequences, namely people from the lower classes, not old ladies
> with eight-room apartments for herself and her cats. in Sao Paulo
> this is very clear in the neighborhood of Belenzinho, East of the
> city, where huge condos are rising up and driving people out of their
> homes. i am a physician working with homeless populations in this
> area, and i can tell you that even the shelters are closing up thanks
> to the massive power of the real estate industry there. there is even
> one avenue, Celso Garcia, where on one side you see the forces of
> capital pumping the condos, and on the other side the old buildings
> and favelas.
 <...>