mp on Mon, 12 May 2014 10:30:23 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> tensions within the bay area elites

On 12/05/14 03:00, Brian Holmes wrote:

> Doctorow is a somewhat different story, no? He may get himself flown
> around the world to give talks, but he is not a full-fledged member of
> this newly dominant class - all the more so since he seems to identify
> himself at least partially with those on the outside of it. Both his
> politics and his own quest for attention-market share lead him to see,
> or at keast try to see, the new mangerialists as so many of his readers
> do, with ambivalent admixtures of envy, fear and class hatred.

A contemporary court jester, then, or should we say cyber jester?

"Regarded as pets or mascots, they served not simply to amuse but to
criticise their master or mistress and their guests. Queen Elizabeth
(reigned 1558â1603) is said to have rebuked one of her fools for being
insufficiently severe with her. Excessive behaviour, however, could lead
to a fool being whipped, as Lear threatens to whip his fool." - The
Royal Shakespeare Company quoted on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jester

Essential to the ruling elites across epochs, it seems.