d.garcia on Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:09:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> In Art we Trust

Many thanks Saul, I have a real admiration for Kunst Reserve Bank project
but despite your spirited and thought provoking defence I still can't shake
of my sense of there being a serious flaw.

Saul wrote
"Thats true however my argument with the Peperkamp's presentation
is that in the context of a project with such radical potential it is
unfortunate that he depends on a mystical narrative of traditional
connoisseurship (i.e. artistic quality "I know it when I see it!).

Am I right that you're pointing out the weakness of the currency component
without the conceptual framing of the KRB project? That the intrinsic value,
like a gold-backed-currency, depends on antiquated but persistent value
attributions? Yes thats my objection.

artist-object / conceptual author-discourse dichotomy of the project and the
somewhat exploitative/naive relationship between them implied in the way you
quote Peperkamp's capricious selection criteria - taken together - seem
consistent enough with the trick they're pulling off to make Warhol proud."

My Reply
The persistence of this unproblematised 'quality' narrative lies at the heart
of the overuse of the word 'creative' these days and particularly the way it
being deployed in today's employment landscape to legitimise of soften the
varieties of exploitation and self exploitation. Warhol (though he was himself
a ruthless and notoriously stingy exploiter of the affective labor of his "super
stars") was radical in the ways in which he saw right though this narrative
and consistently subverted it.

Take his interview with Gene Swenson, in the 1963 edition of Art News where
he famously declared that the reason he was painting in this way is because
"I want to be a machine,? At the time people took it as a Warhol ?put on?. as
they used to say in the 60s. But I would argue that he was deadly serious. In
the same interview he goes on to lament how "Everybody's always being creative.
And it's so funny when you say things aren't, like the shoe I would draw for
an advertisement was called a ?creation?...Everybody is too good now,
really. Like, how many actors are there? There are millions of actors.
They're all pretty good. And how many painters are there? Millions of
painters and all pretty good. How can you say one style is better than
another?"

Its weird hearing this interview now at the height of the creative
industries hype when everyone (sorry Beuys) are required to be artists. It was
his marvelous literal mindedness that 50 years ago enabled Warhol to repudiate
these expectations emphasising machine like repetition and to cutting to the
chase by screen printing dollar bills and then watch from the sidelines as
the appreciated in fiduciary value.  Laughing (or rather smiling Cheshire Cat
like) all the way to a real bank!

Unlike Peperkamp he never made the error of claiming the works were either
'good or bad art'. They were commodities that operating like cattle prods
"talking back to the media".without recourse to conoirseurship or special
pleading for arts special status as a super commodity.

So my admiration for KRB notwithstanding I still feel its a pity that the
project did not like Warhol find a way to go beyond its dependence on an
unreconstructed humanist anthropology.

Saul
What would this project do/be if it were going to do/be more than 'just
art'?

Well hmm not sure.. Possibly the source of the project should have been
anonymous like bitcoin or (excuse the very bad pun) banksy. The individual
releases of the coins could have been unattributed and aspired to a drier
more neutral less arty form of charisma. All a bit vague I know.. As I said
I admire this work it is thought provoking so the fact that I have some
issues does not mean that I have any answers. I may even want it to exist in
its present form and continue to provoke questions

Best

David