Armin Medosch on Tue, 11 Mar 2014 16:58:01 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Hans Magnus Enzensberger: Rules for the digital world

Hi Frank

sure, there is a diversity of opinion in any self-respecting newspaper. But
that does not change the fact that FAZ editors are conducting a kind of
campaign against the 'free' culture of the internet. I would certainly not
consider Google to be 'good'. I am observing, rather neutrally, that there
is a fight of old versus new capital. Google represents a new mode of
production, FAZ an old one. FAZ is trying to preserve its business model,
based on copyright and exclusivity. The new political economy is still in
its ascendancy, Google still represents a future (not THE future).
Therefore we should hold Google accountable, while not falling for the trap
of defending the interests of old capital

best,
Armin

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 5:41 PM, Frank Rieger <frank@ccc.de> wrote:

> Writing for the FAZ myself I can assure you, that there is no such
> thing as "the FAZ". It is a multitude of oppinions, plenty of debates
> and highly moble frontlines. There are some arch-conservative editors
> and authors who would love to wake up one day and find the internet
> gone (mostly in the politics and business parts of the paper). And
> then there are plenty of others (more often in the Feuilleton) who
> have distinctly different and certainly not conservative views.
 <...>